What to Wear for Your Professional Headshot
Businesses and business owners that we work with understand the value of having an updated, professional headshot. One of the questions we often get is, “What do I wear to my headshot session?” We’ve got you covered. Here are some tips on what to wear for your next headshot session:
For the ladies:
1. Color. Wear a vibrant solid color that usually has you receiving lots of compliments. (That typically means it reflects the undertones of your skin well.) You can wear prints, but we recommend that you choose smaller prints so as not to draw attention away from your face.
We do not recommend that brunettes and those with black hair wear dark colors if your hair touches your clothing. This can cause the hair to blend in with the top.
2. Jewelry. Shorter necklaces are always best as they draw attention upward and are less likely to drop out of the picture, drawing attention downward.
Earrings are a must but choose earrings that slim the face. Earrings that are wide and long can work well on smaller necks that have some length, but they are not slimming on shorter or wider necks.
3. Neckline. It’s best to have an adequate amount of neckline showing. We do not recommend headshots in turtlenecks or scarves that completely cover the neckline.
4. Makeup. In general wear your makeup as you usually do, so that it properly reflects you. We suggest that everyone wear foundation, as this allows the lights to reflect well off your skin and provide a more even coloring. We suggest lip liner and lipstick appropriate for the color of the top you wear. This will give depth and dimension to your photo.
Blush helps give definition to your cheeks, but keep in mind that most blush has a shimmer effect. You will not need as much blush as you think because the light will reflect the shimmer and automatically make it look darker.
Be cautious with concealers. Concealers, bronzes and contour highlights look great in natural light, but in studio lighting, they can make your face look unnatural. Use them conservatively.
5. Eyes. Eyeliner helps define and accentuate the eye, but for most women, we recommend that you do not line the entire eye. This often ends up making the eye look more closed. Make sure your eyebrows are defined but not overdone so that they do not draw attention upward away from where you want those viewing your photos to focus.
For the men:
1. Shirt. We recommend that you wear a solid color, structured shirt.
2. Jacket and tie. Do wear a jacket and tie if your industry requires it. If you do wear one, allow your tie to provide the pop of color.
3. Sun exposure. Be careful of sun exposure prior to your photo shoot. Too much sun exposure will give you the appearance of having “raccoon eyes”.
Now that you know exactly what you need to wear to your headshot, click the button below to schedule an appointment for us to come to your location, or you can also schedule an appointment to come to our studio as well, whatever’s more convenient for your schedule. We look forward to helping you enhance your image with your next headshot!